Our Head Butcher Bobby admits he at first didn’t understand the obsession with Christmas ham – until a few years ago when he had his first glazed ham while working at Rockpool. He’s been preparing this bourbon glazed ham every year since eating it at Rockpool. Try his bourbon glazed ham for your festive feast.
PREP TIME: 30 mins COOK TIME: 1.5-2 hours SERVES: 12-14 using our 8kg Millbrook Rare Breed ham
1 Millbrook Rare Breed ham 8kg
1½ cup of brown sugar
1½ cup of bourbon
¾ cup honey
1 cup orange marmalade
2 oranges, zest and juice
1 lemon, zest and juice
½ cup Dijon mustard
orange, sliced for decoration
1 Christmas ribbon for decoration
1. Preheat fan forced oven to 185°C.
2. In a large pot add brown sugar, bourbon, honey, marmalade, zest, juice and Dijon mustard and dissolve while bringing to the boil carefully.
3. Reduce the heat to a mild simmer for 15 minutes. Set aside.
4. Remove skin from the ham but leave some on the hock.
5. Score just through the fat about 5mm deep on the diagonal, with each cut about 1.5cm apart. Repeat on the opposite diagonal. This should leave you with a diamond shape cut all over the ham. Place a clove in the center of the diamonds.
6. Place ham in a deep baking dish, cover the ham with a generous amount of your sauce then bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and add the orange slices. Baste with the sauce again, rotate the ham and bake for another 20 minutes, baste and rotate the ham two more times at 20 minute intervals.
7. Remove from the oven to plate up. Decorate with sliced oranges and Christmas ribbon. Serve with roasted potatoes, cocktail onions and cherry tomatoes with rosemary, and the rest of the sauce.
8. This should be served hot straight away.